Presented in Widescreen

Thursday 19 February 2009

marions - "another hour"


After I got back from Stockholm in August, I had every intention of writing a bit about the bands I saw and records I bought while over there, but like most of my plans that fell by the wayside.

Of all the bands I saw, I think FM Belfast, Yamon Yamon and Marions made the greatest impression. At the time I was disappointed to discover that Marions didn't have any recordings available, but when I got back I found out that Flora & Fauna had signed them for an album, the first taste of which ("Another Hour") was made available the other day, with the album to follow in April.

On the night I saw them the line up was vocals, keyboard, bass, percussion and violin - no drums and no guitar. I've often wanted to do something similar myself, and I thought it worked brilliantly, especially in the small seated theatre/concert hall they were playing in - probably no more than 200 capacity.

Anyway, "Another Hour" is lovely. I can remember it from hearing it once, six months ago. The arrangement is changed slightly on the recording, but the vocals remain just as striking.

[MP3] Marions - Another Hour

No comments: